"The whole spiritual journey might be summed up as humble hope." Thomas Keating

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

The log in your own eye

"Why do you look at the speck that is in your brother's eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye? - Matthew 7:3

It seems that old truisms are just that, true. Isn't it the way in AA that a person (me) can log on here and wax on philosophically about how to live and work the program, and all the while things are slowly spiraling out of control in their life.

Such was the case when I looked up yesterday and realized that that was just what I had been doing. I was logging in here and talking about resentments, and yet one was festering under the skin, growing in size and scope.



I guess my point is something Chuck C. said years ago (and I will paraphrase): "Our Steps are not meant to be discussed, read or parsed. They are meant to be took, so let's took 'em." In other words, don't let any discussion about your program distract you from living it.

My solution was to go to the prison last night.

1 comment:

  1. It is always good to be reminded that AA is a way of life and not a sterile theoretical construct. While reflecting on the principles of the program is important, even necessary, the essential thing is to live it.

    When I first got sober I was very impressed by a guy who was wonderfully articulate about the program. To this day I haven't heard anyone expound the principles as eloquently as he did. I was therefore shocked when he went out after a few months and I was told that he had been doing the revolving door bit for years. A couple of years after that he died, apparently drunk.

    Just this morning I was talking with an old timer whose brain is wired very much like mine. We talked about how people like us have to reflect a lot on what I guess you could call the conceptual basis of the AA program. It just would not work for us otherwise. However, we have to be conscious of the fact that that exposes us to the danger of being absorbed in mental gymnastics. Ultimately it is about living after all.

    ReplyDelete