"The whole spiritual journey might be summed up as humble hope." Thomas Keating

Thursday, August 4, 2011

We should be experts at "one day at a time" when we come into the program

Newcomers often balk at the idea of "one day at a time."  After all, it's a trick -- we all know we're really talking about the rest of our lives, right?  But, as a speaker at this morning's meeting said, we all drank one day at a time.  I know for me it was always "well, OK, I've had a rough day (or it's hot, or I'm thirsty) so I'll have one tonight and tomorrow I'll stop - or at least cut down."  I never thought 'Yippee, I'm going to get polluted every night for the rest of my life!!"  

It went beyond just the drink itself, too.  I knew I was screwing up my life and my future, but it was always 'this is what I'll do today; I'll deal with tomorrow when it comes.  I should have come into the program as one of the world's formost experts at living in the day and, yet, it's still a struggle.  As a former sponsor liked to say, I have a strong tendency to live in the wreckage of the future, sacrificing today's joy to my fear of tomorrow.

 


1 comment: