"The whole spiritual journey might be summed up as humble hope." Thomas Keating

Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Our minds are like crows.

"Our minds are like crows.  They pick up everything that glitters, no matter how uncomfortable our nests get with all that metal in them." --Thomas Merton, New Seeds of Contemplation, 104

Mine certainly is.  I've recently found myself mentally chattering a great deal more than usual.  I know what I'm supposed to be focusing on but I keep hopping from shiny thing to shiny thing all the while chattering and screeching away like a monkey on crystal meth.  It's downright unpleasant.

Gee, could it be related to the fact that I've been cutting back on my daily mediation?  As I've said before in this blog, meetings are tremendously helpful, but I need the 11th step.  Right now I'm paying the consequences for neglecting it.

No comments:

Post a Comment