"The whole spiritual journey might be summed up as humble hope." Thomas Keating

Friday, March 11, 2011

Life doesn't have to be justified

Life doesn't have to be justified.  It is the justification.
I was up for a job a couple of weeks ago that required knowledge of HTML, the language used to lay out information on web sites.  Since my knowledge of HTML could only optimistically be called rusty, I started giving myself a crash course in it and was surprised at just how much fun I was having.  Shortly after I started playing with HTML I was told that I would not get the job.

Now, HTML is a useful thing to know and I was really enjoying working with it, so I kept going.  Oddly enough, though, I found that I felt just a bit uncomfortable spending my time on it.  After all, there was no immediate prospect of using it on a job, so didn't that make it a wast of time?  Never mind that I had no other job prospects that required other skills I lack, I somehow felt I should (always a dangerous word) be doing something of direct material benefit.  That invisible jury that is always sitting out there, judging my every thought and action, would otherwise not approve.

I had completely lost sight of the fact that I was having a blast and that having fun is a good thing.  I had fallen into yet another form of spiritual materialism, this time demanding that all learning should have a direct, tangible, "real world" benefit -- sort of a cash value theory of learning.  Now that is twisted.  I was (and am) learning, growing, and having fun.  That is the benefit.  I am astounded at how easily I lose sight of that and bow to what I think "the world" wants me to do.  As if the world gives a hoot what I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment