"The whole spiritual journey might be summed up as humble hope." Thomas Keating

Sunday, March 20, 2011

Worry is a form of control



Someone made this comment at my home group the other day and I think it's an interesting insight.  When I think of control I tend to think of the types of control that (sort of) work: nagging, micromanagement, manipulation, bullying, etc.  I rarely think of the little bits of witchcraft I use to try to influence events, like making endless to-do lists when I'm overwhelmed with tasks or buying a new tool when I'm not sure I'll be able to handle a task.

Worrying just might be my favorite form of witchcraft.  I have a problem, there is absolutely nothing I can do about it right now, so I obsessively worry about it.  That way I keep hold of the problem so it can't do anything while I'm not looking.  Now, that's productive, isn't it?

Recognizing these little magic spells for what they are is the first step toward my letting go of them and living a more peaceful life.

2 comments:

  1. I have always considered worry as "negative prayer". I am saying that I do not believe that:

    1. God can not handle this situation
    2. That I will disapprove of the outcome if He does

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just blogged about worry, remorse and morbid reflection from page 86 of the AA Big Book. I'm interested in the concept of worry and control... hmmmm.

    Well, here's what I wrote before you said that.

    http://goodlifenoalcohol.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete