"The whole spiritual journey might be summed up as humble hope." Thomas Keating

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Daily Suggestions

Did you ever wonder why, when faced with our many daily problems, that we don't just take some of the very practical, very easy to use, suggestion that the Big Book makes...

Page 87 - 88: "As we go through the day we pause, when agitated or doubtful, and ask for the right thought or action. We constantly remind ourselves we are no longer running the show, humbly saying to ourselves many times each day "Thy will be done."

2 comments:

  1. I have wondered about that and I've concluded that when I am really wound up in my problems I don't want a solution, I want CONTROL. In order to let go and remind myself I'm not running the show I have to first calm down a bit and get my bearings. I have to stop, breath, think about my place in the grand scheme of things, and only then do I have a shot at applying the Big Book suggestions.

    In other words, in order to acknowledge I am not running the show I have to have some level of humility, and if I'm really wired about my problems I am decidedly NOT being humble. I think humility includes faith and, as Gandhi said, "one who has any faith in God should be ashamed to worry about anything whatsoever." Which, of course means that I should pretty much always be ashamed. Now, while I was drinking I got a lot of training in being ashamed, so it isn't all that hard. I guess progress for an alkie means being ashamed of a better class of behavior.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the Gandhi quote. For me, to worry is to be human and to stay in worry usually means I need to look at Step 3 again. I just love the Steps!

    ReplyDelete