"The whole spiritual journey might be summed up as humble hope." Thomas Keating

Thursday, September 30, 2010

The Opposites of Joy and Sorrow

We can experience both joy and sorrow, even at the same time, for joy and sorrow are not opposites.  It is not joy and sorrow, but their opposites, that cause damage.   The opposite of joy is cynicism and the opposite of sorrow is callousness.  
Cynicism is rooted in the assumption that everyone is always in control and therefore everything bad that happens is the result of ill will or incompetence while everything good that happens is the result of someone's self interest.  
Callousness is the inability to feel that follows from the fear of losing control.
(I found this today among some notes I've made on Joy.  I think it is a variation on a passage from Thomas Merton, but I'm not sure.  In any event, I thought it was worth sharing.)

No comments:

Post a Comment