"The whole spiritual journey might be summed up as humble hope." Thomas Keating

Monday, February 7, 2011

How to Dismantle Your Program, or The Yellow Brick Road to Hell

In my last post I talked about a friend who was sober for 12 years, systematically dismantled her program, went out for 11 years and has been back for 2+ years. (The lady in question will please note the corrected numbers.) I described how she stopped coming to meetings: First missing a meeting was unavoidable, then it was acceptable, then it seemed like a good idea.

She has since reminded me of the other steps in the process, so, if you're interested in wrecking your life, here's a good how-to:

  • Stop going to meetings, as described above
  • Don't have a sponsor 
  • Don't sponsor anyone 
  • Don't have a homegroup 
  • Don't do service 
  • Pray ONLY to have god keep you away from a drink and a drug (FYI-that is not praying) 
  • Above all, do not work the Steps 
If you follow these simple instructions carefully, you will be ready when that insane moment comes and you decide to celebrate your anniversary with a martini.

As my friend likes to point out, we get sick in reverse:
First we get spiritually sick - cut off from god.
Then we become mentally sick-where drinking seems like a good idea/solution.
Then we pick up.





1 comment:

  1. nice list... simple, straight-forward and absolutely true.

    I am going to link this post on my blog. If that is not ok, let me know and I will remove it. :)

    ReplyDelete